I didn't really have pets growing up. We had a turtle in the back yard planter that no one paid attention to. I had a little garter snake for about a week. Then I lost it somewhere in my house and spent the rest of my childhood in fear of my long lost snake crawling in my bed at night. (That is until we found it's skeleton under the dryer a few years later.) We also found a dog once and kept it for about 3 or 4 days till we found it's owner. That's pretty much it. I don't dislike animals. I understand loving them. They're cute and are very loving to you in return.
Blake always had pets growing up. Dogs, cats, guinea pigs, hermit crabs, snakes, etc. He felt a little incomplete not having a dog for the first 8 years of our marriage. We did have a snake who had a very sad untimely death but that's another story. (I guess I should stay away from poor snakes.)
This brings me to the reason for this post. I thought I'd share how we got our dog Sal Lee and a few of the events that happened after we got him.
First of all yes I said his name is Sal Lee and yes he is a boy. That's what you get when you let two little girls name your dog. I spell it that way to make it seem a little more masculine. (Who am I kidding?)
Sal Lee came to our door one day and wouldn't go away. I was happy to shut the door and ignore him. Lilly on the other hand instantly fell in love with him and smashed her tear stained face on the front window screaming, "Puppy, come back!" It was very dramatic. When we woke up in the morning he was still there, so we put him in the back yard and thought we should at least try and find the owner. I left to take Lilly to school. When I got home my neighbor was out trying to help Sal Lee get his head out of the hole in the fence. He was stuck. I didn't know what to do. This dog that I didn't want was stuck in my fence and making quite a racket. We couldn't get him out.
So I called the Humane Society. After waiting and trying to comfort Sal Lee for about two hours the truck finally pulls up. Out steps the Humane Society guy all by himself right? No! He is being followed by a camera crew. He walks over to me like there's nothing strange going on and asks me about my dog. I tell him where the dog is and he walks over to investigate. Then a lady tip toes over to me and whispers about how they are filming a show for Animal Planet. "Do you mind if we film this?" Um ya I mind. I didn't do my hair yet and I don't have any make up on. That's what I thought to myself but of course I say, "No I don't mind. Go ahead."
Needless to say we never found his owner. He's a sweet little dog with lots of energy. He and Oscar are the best of friends.



5 comments:
I remember the day of his head being caught, it seems so very long ago. He was lucky to find you all as his family.
That is a GREAT story, Nelly! Do you have the episode that was being filmed? I am glad you got a great dog.
I totally remember when that happened! I think you were watching Parker at the time. Did you ever catch the episode on Animal Planet?
I love Sal Lee!
Sal is famous!
Post a Comment